What to do if you have lost your pet
(These same procedures & resources should be utilized if you find a stray animal)
* Contact your local police department (non-emergency number) or animal control to see if your pet has been reported found.
* Contact local veterinarian offices to see if anyone has reported seeing your lost pet. This is also important because many lost pets are taken to a vet to be scanned for a microchip.
* Put posters up in a 5 block area around your home.(place in plastic sleeve to protect from rain) Include a description of your pet, a photo if possible, and your contact information. Place signs in local pet stores, vet offices, and local schools (use the eyes of hundreds of students to help find your pet)
* Utilize social media and the internet to get the word out. The following links offer a “lost and found” for pets, where you can post information on your lost pet, as well as search the “found” section to see if your pet has been found:
* Call local animal shelters and rescue organizations to let them know you are looking for a lost animal.
* You can find a list of local animal rescues by logging on to Pet Finder Shelters and Rescues and enter your zip code.
Wildlife Rescue and Species Specific Rescue Contacts
|Wildlife Rehabilitation Center||651-486-9453|
|Wildlife Rehabilitation and Release||612-822-7058|
|University of MN Raptor Center||612-624-4745|
|Companion Birds||Parrot Help||612-208-2203|
|Rabbits||MN Companion Rabbit Society||651-768-9755 (voice mail) Email|
|Ferrets, Rats, Reptiles||MN Pocket Pet Rescue
|Horse||MN Hoofed Animal Association||763-856-3119|
|Guinea Pigs||Piggy Haven||651-231-7403|
To Report Animal Abuse
If you need to report an animal abuse situation, all metro county websites will refer you to the Minnesota Animal Humane Society. If you believe an animal is in an immediate life threatening situation, using good judgement, you can always call 911, or your local police non-emergency number.
Minnesota Federated Humane Societies - 612-866-8663
City of Minneapolis - 612-673-3000 (inside city limits only)
Animal Humane Society - 612-772-9999
Low Cost Spay/Neuter Programs
MN Snap - Spay Neuter Assistance Program - 612-720-8236