All they Need Is Love
Surrendering a Pet to Last Hope
Last Hope knows that surrendering a pet is never an easy decision and understands that unforeseen circumstances may result in the owner considering the surrender of a pet or perhaps a found/abandoned pet. This page will provide Last Hope’s basic Qualifications and Procedures for pet surrender consideration.
Since Last Hope does not have a shelter no pets can be surrendered at the office, nor can you just drop off an animal with having completed the surrender procedure. The surrender procedure requires a minimum of 1 week (sometimes longer) to find an opening in our foster home network. Last Hope accepts only cats and dogs. Pets adopted from Last Hope are given priority according to the terms of the Last Hope Adoption Contract. For any other animals go to the Animal Help Resources page for helpful information.
Last Hope is a foster home-based cat and dog rescue. All the pets within the Last Hope Adoption Program live in homes with the foster families who care for them. Therefore, our ability to accept a surrender of your pet is based upon the following:
* There being an opening in a foster home capable of fostering the pet you wish to surrender,
* Your pet must meet Last Hope's qualifications that will assure the pet can be safely adopted into a new home.
Last Hope may not be able to consider your pet for surrender if any of the following conditions exist:
* The animal was purchased from a breeder or adopted from another rescue where a contract exists stipulating that the pet be returned to the breeder or rescue if you can no longer keep the pet. Please check any agreement or contract you signed when you purchased or adopted your pet first before contacting Last Hope.
* At this time, Last Hope is unable to accept the Following Breeds: (Last Hope recommends using Petfinder to search for local rescues that accept the following breeds)
American Pit Bull Terrier,
Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
American Staffordshire Terrier
* Last Hope is unable to consider any breed or mix of breed for surrender if any of the following characteristics or conditions exist:
A dog deemed “Dangerous” or potentially “Dangerous” by any county or municipal authority,
A dog with a bite history,
A dog with a history of aggression issues,
* Last Hope may be unable to accept for surrender any breed or mix if any of the following characteristics or conditions exist:
Animals with severe separation anxiety,
Animals with chronic pet urination, spraying, or defecation issues within the home or outside a litter box
1. Please complete the appropriate Surrender Application online which can be found HERE. Be sure to upload a photo of the cat or dog to be submitted with the Pet Surrender Application.
2. If you have any questions, contact the Last Hope Administrative Office.
3. A Last Hope representative will contact you with any questions regarding your application, and if the surrender is accepted, a date and time as to when Last Hope can accept surrender of your pet.
4. If surrender is approved, you will be asked to take the pet to one of Last Hope’s Veterinary Partners.
where you will complete a Surrender Form transferring legal ownership of the pet to Last Hope Inc.
5. Please bring any veterinary records you have related to your surrendered pet.
6. Last Hope requests a $50.00 surrender fee donation to help with veterinary costs, however, we understand if circumstances
require you to donate a lessor amount.
7. After the pet completes a wellness exam, the pet will be picked up by its new Foster family and officially become a member of Last Hope’s Adoption Program, which has found forever homes for over 45000 cats and dogs since 1984.